This Flexible program is designed for students seeking a higher credential towards a first-level management position in a professional field requiring a knowledge of Health Information Management systems. In addition to the knowledge and technical skills required for a successful career in Health Information Management, students also study accounting, computer literacy, economics, and oral and written communications to provide them with the board-base skills needed for a successful career in the growing field of health records Management and informatics.
Graduates of this program should be able to:
- Have a basic understanding of the workplace;
- Recognize, analyze, and calculate financial data to make informed decisions;
- Possess excellent communication skills in the workplace;
- Demonstrate ethical and social responsibility as they go to work in the real world;
- Describe the anatomy and physiology of the humane body;
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of ICD ND CPT coding systems;
- Demonstrate computer skills;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of disease process in relationship to the humane body, including pharmacology;
- Describe the functions of health information services;
- Be eligible to take the CCA and CCS credentialing examinations.
To earn a degree in this program, a student must complete the 61 program and general education credits, plus the additional requirements, shown below.
|AHS 115 Fundamentals of Human Disease||3|
|AHS 121 Essentials of Pharmacology||3|
|BUS 107 Fundamentals of Business||3|
|BUS 111 Principles of Accounting 1||3|
|BUS 112 Principles of Accounting 2||3|
|BUS 247 Business Communications||3|
|CIS 102 Fundamental Computer Literacy||4|
|HIM 102 Basic Procedure Coding||3|
|HIM 105 Medical Coding 1||3|
|HIM 106 Medical Coding 2||3|
|HIM 132 Reimbursement Methodologies||3|
|HIM 144 Intro to Health Info Management||3|
|BUS 105 Business Mathematics or|
|MAT Mathematics (see footnote 1)||3|
|ECO 211 Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|ECO 212 Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|ENG English Composition/Writing||6|
|General Education Elective (see footnote 2)||3|
|Humanities and Fine Arts||3|
|Core Competencies Portfolio||4 items|
|Minimum Cumulative Average Overall||2.000|
|Area of Specialization: All required HIM Courses||2.000|
For additional information including program costs, click here.
1. Mathematics to be chosen from any MAT courses with the “MA” General Education code.
2. General Education elective chosen from History, (HI) Natural or Physical Science (SC) or Environmental Studies (ES).