LinkedIn is the leading professional network on the web. Use it as a way to connect with the Miami University Career Community.
- Connect with classmates, faculty/staff, and industry professionals
- Find new opportunities for internships and full-time positions
How to Begin Using LinkedIn
Use these tips from LinkedIn to create your profile and vet them through the LinkedIn Profile Checklist.
- Select an appropriate photo (Solo profile headshot in appropriate attire.)
Completely fill in your professional experience and information. An incomplete profile stands out to employers as a poor reflection on your professionalism.
I have a profile, now what? Connect, connect, connect!
- Start with people you know. Customize all your connection requests to employers and alumni (you must be on a laptop or desktop to do this).
- Connect to BCC Alumni through the Berkshire Community College Alumni Association LinkedIn group.
- Connect to people you have worked with and other industry professionals for insight, advice, and opportunities.
- Maintain those contacts by congratulating your contact’s promotions and birthdays.
- Join groups affiliated with your major, industry interest, and campus/community involvement.
Now that you’re connected:
- Research potential employers and the people that work there within your growing network.
- Utilize your connections by conducting informational interviews.
- Search for people with your major and explore their career paths as they match your aspirations.
- Stay up to date with current trends related to your career interests.
- Engage in group discussions in communities which you are a member.
- Berkshire Community College Alumni Association
- LinkedIn’s The Millennial Playbook, A playbook for millennials by millennials. Pages 24-30 are particularly helpful for enhancing your brand on LinkedIn.
- LinkedIn Jobs Directory
- Download the LinkedIn Students App! Here you can search for jobs for students and recent graduates. Learn more about this useful tool and gain an edge on leveraging your network today!