Current Temp:
62 °F
Weather Station
Print This Page
Financial Aid Programs

About Financial Aid Programs. . .

Federal Pell Grant (PELL): Eligibility for this grant is determined by the Federal Processor, and it can be awarded to students who have not earned a bachelor's degree. It is generally the largest source of "free money" for college expenses and is available to non-priority as well as priority applicants.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG): This grant is awarded to Pell-eligible students with the highest need and also does not have to be repaid. BCC receives limited SEOG funding.

MASSGrant (MSS): This grant is awarded by the Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) to state residents who filed their FAFSA by May 1. The amount on your BCC award letter is an estimate only. If you fail to meet the full-time requirement, BCC will replace your award with a Mass Part-Time Grant (while funds last). There is a cap of four semesters on receiving MASSGrants.

Tuition Waiver (TWR): Tuition waivers are generally awarded to residents of Massachusetts. A waiver can be used to cover day tuition charges; if your day tuition is less than your award, you'll receive the lower amount. A waiver does not cover college fees, or books, or any charges associated with summer, evening or non state-supported classes. If you enroll in non state-supported classes, we will convert your waiver to a Cash Grant (while funds last). However, we can't replace your waiver if you already have another type of waiver (egs. DSS, Mass Rehab. National Guard, Veterans or the John & Abigail Adams Scholarship).

Mass Cash Grant (CGR): This grant is also for state residents and is awarded first to priority applicants and offered to others on a funds available basis. Like other grants, the Cash Grant provides "free money" that can be applied to college expenses and does not have to be repaid.

Federal Work-Study (FWS): This program provides students with part-time employment opportunities in a variety of job sites both on and off campus. Work-study awards are made to students on the basis of demonstrated financial need and at least half-time (6 credits) enrollment each semester.  To locate and apply for a job, see Student Employment.

Federal Stafford Loan Program (EFSL, EUSL): Federal student loan programs provide low interest loans to help meet expenses related to enrollment in college. Eligibility for a "Subsidized" or "Unsubsidized" Stafford Loan is determined from the household/financial information provided on the FAFSA. Students can receive subsidized, unsubsidized, or a combination of both loans depending on eligibility. For additional information, contact our Loan Counselor.

Loan Counseling: All students who borrow a Federal Stafford Loan at BCC must complete both an entrance and exit counseling session. If you have received a "REMINDER" notice, you may complete your loan counseling session by clicking on "REMINDER."