Satisfactory Academic Progress

You must make satisfactory academic progress toward your degree or certificate, as defined below, in order to receive any form of financial aid (including student loans). These requirements apply to all periods of enrollment including those for which you did not receive financial aid. These requirements differ from BCC’s academic standards for eligibility to enroll in classes.

  • Standard Requirement
    Number of Attempted Credits 1 to 29 50.0% 1.500
    Percentage of Credits You Must Complete 30 to 44 58.5% 1.750
    Min. Grade Point Average 45 & Up 67.0% 2.000

    NOTE: Grades such as F, IN, RE, and W count towards attempted credits. A repeated course counts as another attempt, but only one of the attempts will be considered earned. Transfer credits from another college count towards both completed and attempted credits. To calculate your completion rate, divide the total number of credits you have completed to date by the total number of credits you have attempted to date.

    Maximum allowable credits

    You must complete your degree or certificate within 150% of the published credits required for graduation (excluding a maximum of 30 credits of any developmental coursework required). This limit applies to all credits attempted, including any program changes you have made. Consideration will be given to dual majors and students seeking a second degree or certificate

    Example: If your program requires you to take 60 credits to graduate, you can receive financial aid for up to 90 credits

    Review Process

    Timing/Scope of Review
    BCC will evaluate your academic progress following each academic year in which you received financial aid. When we evaluate satisfactory progress, we review your entire academic history, not just your most recent term and not just terms in which you received aid.

    If you fail to make satisfactory academic progress, you will be suspended from financial aid and can expect to receive a Financial Aid Suspension Letter and Appeal Form. Suspended students are not required to pay back grants or waivers already received, nor are they prevented from applying for financial aid at another college. However, they are no longer eligible to receive future financial aid at BCC.

  • Suspensions & Appeals

    Grounds for Appealing
    If you meet with the Student Standing Committee and you are allowed to re-enroll at BCC, you must still separately appeal a financial aid suspension, or be prepared to pay college charges out-of-pocket. You may appeal a financial aid suspension based on admissible conditions listed on the Financial Aid Suspension Appeal form. Note: We will not consider appeals on the basis of pre-existing conditions or circumstances already cited on a previous appeal. Students may submit no more than 2 financial aid suspension appeals at BCC. However, if your appeal is denied, you may re-appeal if and when your circumstances change.

    Appeal Review
    Complete and submit your Financial Aid Suspension Appeal Form with supporting documents to the Financial Aid Office by the deadlines on the form. The Director of Financial Aid and the Financial Aid Appeals Review Committee will review your appeal and inform you of their decision by mail.

    Students whose appeals are approved receive a Reinstatement of Financial Aid letter and are placed on Probation. If this applies to you, you will be required to limit your credit load to half-time status (6 to 8 credits per term) to ensure successful completion of all attempted credits and to bring your record into compliance with required standards as soon as possible. At BCC, you can remain on Probation and remain eligible for financial aid for as many terms as needed for you to rehabilitate your record, providing you make satisfactory progress in all terms following the reinstatement of your financial aid.

Regaining Eligibility

If you are suspended, you can also regain eligibility for financial aid consideration by successfully completing additional credits at your own expense or with the help of another agency, providing you are still within maximum allowable credits. Notify the Financial Aid Office (F-122; ext 1641) once you have rehabilitated your record to comply with satisfactory academic progress standards for financial aid.