Students, faculty, and most staff have access to download and use Microsoft Office 365 free of charge through BCC’s campus licensing agreement with Microsoft. The following steps show how to download and install Office 365 on your personal Windows PC.
Note: An active internet connection is needed throughout all the steps below to install Office 365. We recommended a broadband or faster internet connection as the download is quite large.
Tip: Some new computers come with a trial version of Microsoft office already installed. In this case you can skip the lengthy download and simply log in with your BCC credentials as described in step 16.
- Navigate to the main BCC website, www.berkshirecc.edu
- To get to the login page, in the upper right corner click on MyBCC
- Type your username and password into the boxes, then click the button Sign in
Tip: Student usernames are the letter “s” + your Student ID, which will be mailed to you. For example, s0123456. The “S” can be either upper or lower case.
- The MyBCC Portal Page will load after a successful login
- Click on Berkshire Community College Email to open the email sign in page
- Type “s” + your student id number followed by “@berkshirecc.edu” on the email sign in page, then click the Next button
Note: Your student ID number followed by @berkshirecc.edu is one of your email addresses however we recommend that you use your firstname.lastname@example.org address when sharing your BCC email to help protect your account and your privacy.
- Type your password on the Enter Password screen and click the Sign in button. This is the same password used in step 3 above to log into MyBCC
Note: The Forgot my password, and Can’t access your account links on the email sign in pages do not work for BCC accounts. For help with your BCC password please see the article on Changing your BCC password.
- If asked Stay signed in? click No if you are on a public or shared computer. If using your own computer and you do not share it with friends or family, you may check the box Don’t show this again and click Yes to speed up future sign ins
- Click on the App Launcher icon in the upper left corner of the BCC email web page as shown here
- In the menu that opens, click on Office 365 and a new page will open
- On the new page, click on Install Office apps, then click on Office 2016 to begin the download
Note: If there is only an option to install Skype and not the full Office 2016, please contact the Digital Commons or BCC IT Help Desk so that the licensing can be fixed on your account. This happens often with inactive accounts that return.
- When the download pop-up appears, click on Save File to begin downloading the Office 365 installer application
- Open This PC (or My Computer), then go to the Downloads Folder. Double-click on the application(.exe) that you downloaded within the previous step to begin installing office 365. What
you will see is similar to the example below.
- When asked whether or not you wish to install, click Yes to accept and start installing.
- Be patient during the install process and keep an active internet connection.
Note: How long this step takes depends on your internet connection speed and the speed of your computer. On slow computers or connections this step may take 90 minutes or longer.
- After installation is complete, start any of the new Office Programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) and sign in with your BCC email address and password to activate the Office 365 software.
Tip: For help with installing Office 365 please visit the Digital Commons located within the John Edwards Library.