What is STEM Starter Academy?
STEM Starter Academy is an exciting statewide Massachusetts Community College Initiative funded through a grant from the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education that is designed to promote STEM fields of study. The Academy provides an amazing opportunity for promising incoming college students to explore cutting-edge careers, gain college classroom experience, and focus on important success skills in a supportive environment.
Many campuses have implemented elements of a framework to inform, recruit, retain and graduate more students in STEM programs. However, the STEM Starter Academy (SSA) will help to address gaps, promote alignment and build capacity to meet unaddressed student needs and to refine the model of articulated student support services and structured STEM curriculum that will promote:
- Increased student awareness of and access to STEM programs of study and career opportunities,
- Enhanced student readiness for and recruiting into STEM pathway programs,
- Improved student retention based on academic success and overcoming “life barriers,” and
- Increased completion through award of certificates or degrees and pathways to STEM jobs or transfer to higher level STEM academic programs.
Come join STEM Starter Academy’s STEM café. Discover STEM opportunities on campus and in our Berkshire County community. Come for food, fun, prizes, and “Everything STEM”! Forum Credit is available!
March 22, 2022 11:30-1:00 (drop-in) | Located in The Connector
Come join STEM Starter Academy’s STEM Café! Discover STEM opportunities on campus and in our Berkshire County community. Come for food, fun, prizes, and “Everything STEM”!
This special café features our Berkshire STEM Network partners and our strong collaborative efforts promoting local STEM transfer and employment opportunities.
Special MCLA Instant Transfer Admission event – Open to ALL BCC students! Join us!
Our presenters this time are:
- STEM Academics: MCLA Life Sciences & Radiology Depts.
- Local STEM industry: General Dynamics
- 3 Local STEM non-profits:
- 1) Girls Inc – Eureka! Summer Program
- 2) Flying Cloud Institute
- 3) Center for Ecological Technology
- STEM fun: Berkshire STEM Network will offer fun with science kits & STEM lending library resources
- STEM Starter Academy – MCLA 2-4 STEM Transfer Bridge Program with David Eve, Computer Science Dept. & MassTeach with Nick Stroud, MCLA Education Dept.
- MA Transfer University: MCLA Transfer Counselor, Kolumbia Granger – INSTANT TRANSFER ADMISSION!
- BCC Career Center: Charlotte Lotz – Enroll in Handshake, BCC’s new career software program and learn about internship & job opportunities
- BCC STEM alumni who chose to transfer to MCLA so you can hear about their experiences and future aspirations!
Forum credit available! *
The STEM Starter Academy at BCC
The BCC STEM Starter Academy Program is geared toward incoming freshman interested in high-demand careers in a variety of STEM fields. Each cohort of STEM Scholars will gain transition-to-college skills and develop college success strategies that will give them the tools they need to be STEM-ready in college and in the workplace.
Learn more about the two STEM Starter Academy programs at Berkshire Community College:
- Summer Success Program
- Fall Support Program