Surgical technologists work in the sterile environment with surgeons, anesthesia personnel and nurses in delivering surgical patient care. Surgical technologists are employed in hospital-based operating room settings, outpatient surgical centers, maternity units, emergency rooms, central sterile reprocessing units and in the medical sales field.
BCC and McCann Postsecondary Technical School partner to provide a comprehensive 64 credit associate degree program in Surgical Technology. Once the associate degree is awarded, students are eligible to sit for the board exam given by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
- The BCC program component prepares students for continued clinical studies at McCann and includes courses in Microbiology, English Composition, Communication, Math, Sociology, and Surgical Technology. Students enroll at BCC first, then after successful completion of all BCC coursework, apply to McCann.
- The McCann program component focuses on elements of the sciences and applies them within operating room practices and procedures, safe patient care, operating room technique, surgical procedures and clinical practice.
The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Accreditation Review Council on Education and Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting. Graduates of the Surgical Technology Associate Degree are eligible to sit for the national board exam given by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
BHS Talent Pipeline
The largest employer in the Berkshires, Berkshire Health Systems covers the cost of all training in its pipeline programs and also offers trainees full-time pay with benefits while they are completing their training. The "pipeline" is designed to create a direct career path from education and training to full-time employment at BHS. BHS is sponsoring two BCC enrolled Surgical Tech students for August 2023.
For specific pipeline information, contact:
BHS Human Resource Department
742 North St.
Pittsfield, MA 01201
- Employment of surgical technologists is projected to grow nine percent from 2020 to 2030, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
- About 9,000 openings for surgical technologists are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Many of those openings are expected to result from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or exit the labor force, such as to retire. Visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Surgical Technologists (visited Jan. 07, 2022).
Specialty Coordinator and First Assistant
- Berkshire Health Systems, which includes:
- Berkshire Medical Center, Crane Center for Ambulatory Surgery, North Adams Campus of Berkshire Medical Center, Fairview Hospital in Gt. Barrington
- Berkshire Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery, Dr. Michaels in Pittsfield
- Cooley Dickinson in Northampton, MA
- Franklin Medical Center, Greenfield, MA
- Holyoke Medical Center, Holyoke, MA
- Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, Bennington, VT
- Berkshire Health Systems, which includes:
Surgical Technology Application Process and Starting Classes
- Choose Health Science (Pre-Surg Tech) option
- Contact the Admissions Office with any questions, at 413-499-4660 or email@example.com
- Apply to BCC Choose Pre-Surgical Technology Health Science Degree
- Apply for Financial Aid, if not already completed
- Meet with Allied Health Academic Counselor to plan your academic pathway, matriculate to the Health Science (HLSC) Surgical Technology Program and register for courses
- Complete Matriculation Process to HLSC Surgical Technology
- Register for summer course AHS-107 Introduction to Surgical Technology. Successfully complete this course with a B or higher to complete matriculation to the HLSC Surgical Technology Program
- Complete all BCC coursework prior to applying to McCann
- AHS-117 Surgical Technology must be completed, with a B or higher, the fall (one year prior) before starting McCann courses
- BCC Program and Gen Ed Courses to complete prior to McCann coursework. Pathway to Graduation
- Apply to McCann after BCC coursework is completed
Summer course AHS-107, Introduction to Surgical Technology is required the year before starting at McCann. The immunization and health verification documents (links provided below) must be completed prior to the start of AHS-107. Once AHS 107 is successfully completed with a B  or higher, matriculation to the Surgical Technology A.S. program is fulfilled.
Matriculation, Immunization, and Health Verification Forms
Watch BCC's Surgical Technology Orientation Webinar
Lori Moon, Dean of Nursing
Jocelyne Hescock, McCann Program Advisor
413-663-5383, ext. 180