Admissions Process

How to Become a Student at BCC

Welcome! Here's what you need to know about the application process at Berkshire Community College (BCC).

Download "How to Become a Student at BCC" (PDF)

Apply to BCC graphic
1: Apply to BCC

  • After you have applied to BCC, email your high school and/or college transcripts to
  • Once the admissions office receives your complete application package, you will be notified by mail that you are accepted to BCC.

Read information for International Students

For assistance, email the Admissions Office, call 413-499-4660 or schedule an appointment with an Admissions Counselor.

Apply for financial aid graphic
2: Apply for Financial Aid

Get free money to attend BCC! File your FAFSA today! Each year, more than 80% of BCC students receive an average award of $5,000. Applications may be submitted starting October 1 of the year before you will attend.

Visit to get started

For more information, contact Student Financial Services or call 413-499-4660.

MyBCC graphic
3: Log in to MyBCC

Access MyBCC to log in to Self-Service. Here you can search and select classes, pay your tuition bill and more.

Set up your BCC email to receive important messages from the College. Student usernames are the letter "s" plus your Student ID, for example, s0123456. Your password is the last six digits of your Social Security Number.

Students: BCC takes your password security seriously! Change your password every 90 days.

  • Read about security breaches

    Security breach attempts are unfortunately becoming everyday occurrences across the nation, so we must be vigilant about protecting our data. In response, the IT team has initialized two security enhancements: 90-day password reset and Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) for Office 365. These security enhancements will better protect the College's Office 365 services (email, One Drive, Teams, etc.) The IT department asks that you complete these steps once you receive the prompt to avoid any interruption to your connection in current email, courses or other connections to campus.

    Instructions for Required Password Change and MFA will lead you through the steps.

    If you have any questions or issues, submit our help form or call 413-236-2165.

Testing graphic
4: Complete the Accuplacer*

Contact the Testing Center at or 413-236-1655 to make an appointment to take the Accuplacer. Access a practice test.

If you need accommodations for the test, contact the Disability Resource Center at 413-236-1660 prior to testing.

*If you completed college-level courses in English or Mathematics with a C or better, you may not need to take the Accuplacer.

Register for classes graphic
5: Register for Classes

Speak with an Academic Advisor to select your courses by calling Academic & Transfer Advising at 413-499-4660.

Academic Advisors are available:

  • Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Pay for college graphic
6: Pay for College

Check your financial aid and billing status on MyBCC and make a payment online. Submit your Required Response Form and Student Health Insurance. Submit immunization records, if required.

Visit Paying Your Bills for details about how to make a payment to BCC.

Orientation graphic
7: Attend Orientation

Before classes begin, you will be invited to participate in a student orientation where you'll receive more information about available services, adjusting your course schedule and more.

Disability Resource Center

If you are a student with a disability and require accommodations, please contact the Disability Resource Center.

General Admissions Policy

  • Students who want to enroll in one of BCC's degree or certificate programs, whether full or part time, must be admitted to the College (enrolling in a program is sometimes called "matriculating").
  • Some programs restrict entrance to applicants who have not already met specific requirements. Applicants who have not yet met those requirements can be admitted to the College to enroll in prerequisite courses.
  • For applicants who have a name change, the Admissions Office will need legal documentation of change of name.
  • BCC defines a full-time student as one who enrolls for 12 credit hours or more per semester.
  • Home-Schooled Students

    All home-schooled students without a high school diploma or alternative high school credential are eligible to apply for admission to a degree or certificate program provided they have successfully completed an approved home school program in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws or the laws of their home state.

    To determine whether a student has participated in an approved home-school program, the student shall submit (with the application for admission) evidence that the home-school program was approved by the student's school district's superintendent or school committee. Additionally, if the home-schooled student is under the age of compulsory attendance (16 years old in Massachusetts), a letter from the student's school district's superintendent or school committee is required stating that the student is not considered truant and would not be required to attend further schooling or continue to be home-schooled if the student has completed his/her home-school program before the age of 16.

    If the home-school program was not supervised under a school district, BCC recommends that the applicant complete an alternative high school credential. For more information, please contact the Admissions Office at 413-499-4660 or

  • Students Under Age 16

    The College reserves the right to limit or deny enrollment of any student under the age of 16 in a course or program based on a case-by-case consideration of a variety of factors, including but not limited to: the student's maturity, life experience, placement test scores, prior education, course content, instructional methodology and potential risks associated with participation in a particular course or program.

  • Non-Degree Students

    Anyone interested in taking courses without enrolling in a degree or certificate program may do so as a non-degree student. Non-degree students may sign up for courses as long as they can document that they meet or exceed any prerequisites the course may have. Results of the Accuplacer assessment or another college transcript may be used to meet this requirement.

    Non-degree students do not need to apply for admission to the College in order to take courses. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid.

  • Veterans, National Guard and Reserves

    The Registrar's Office assists veterans, their dependents or spouses, and members of the National Guard/Reserves in determining their eligibility for education benefits. Students who are eligible for benefits through a program administered by the Veterans Administration are provided with assistance in filing for benefits.

    Programs administered by the VA include:

    • Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008;
    • Montgomery G.I. Bill® — Active duty (MGIB-AD), Chapter 30;
    • Montgomery G.I. Bill® — Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), Chapter 1606;
    • Reserve Educational Assistance Program, Chapter 1607;
    • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Chapter 35; and
    • Vocational Rehabilitation (VR&E), Chapter 31.
    • In addition, the Registrar's Office administers the Commonwealth of Massachusetts tuition waiver programs for eligible veterans with specified wartime service and eligible members of the National Guard. As each program has a different set of eligibility, filing and compliance rules, students are encouraged to contact the Registrar's Office for an explanation of program benefits and requirements.

    Valor Act Academic Credit Policy

    In accordance with the Valor Act, BCC evaluates academic credit earned for military training, experience, or coursework using the same standards as those applied to coursework from regionally accredited colleges and universities. BCC reviews military transcripts (e.g. SMART and AARTS), college transcripts, and CLEP and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests for potential transfer of credit to the student's intended program of study. Credit for Military experience (DD214) shall also be granted where applicable, as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE). Every effort will be made to recognize and award academic achievement consistent with the College's general transfer-in policies.